Cobogó bricks were initially patented in 1929 in Brazil by 3 engineers, Amadeu Oliveira Coimbra, Ernest August Boeckmann and Antônio de Góis. This interesting new invention was a hollow structural element similar to a “brick material” that allowed light and air to come through. The trio of engineers named these bricks, “Cobogó”, for no other reason than to incorporate the first two letters of each of their last names into the name: “CO” “BO” and “GO”.
Since 1929, Cobogó bricks have transitioned from concrete to ceramic. The bricks have become a prevalent building feature throughout Brazil. The flexibility of their design allows for amazing geometries and they’ve become an architect’s “muse”. With the potential to create very beautiful features, we can only hope that they’ll catch on in the US sometime soon!